Friday, March 30, 2007

Dr. Mercola

www.mercola.com

Have you guys seen this guy’s website before?  I just subscribed to his newsletter and have been reading some of his articles and watched this video.  I was surprised to find myself being so quick to judge some of the things he suggests as crazy.  I had the same reaction that people have when I tell them I eat a plant based diet.  “I couldn’t do that.  I couldn’t give up [insert food here]”  and, “I don’t think that is important enough for me to change”.  The funny thing is, these emotions were like knee jerk reactions to someone proposing that I change my life for the better.  So I decided to take a closer look at the things he suggests.

 

So far here are some things I’ve noticed.

·         He is light on references and facts.  For example, in the “Reduce cancer by 50% video” (http://vitalvotes.com/blogs/public_blog/How-to-Reduce-Your-Risk-of-Cancer-By-50--8790.aspx ) he shows a graph that is of the rate of cancer based on how many degrees away from the equator you are.  Besides being a leap to infer that that information leads to the conclusion that sun exposure prevents cancer, he also doesn’t site the source of the data on that page

·         There are products that he is trying to sell that go along with many of his articles. 

o   The article about the dangers of Teflon and “other” chemical coatings is trying to promote and sell his pots and pans (http://www.mercola.com/products/cast-iron-cookware )

o   The article about restoring your vision is promoting the sale of $150 audio program http://www.mercola.com/products/natural_vision_cd/index.htm

·         He talks about a wide variety of topics on his website and has years of archived articles so he has been around awhile. 

·         He allows comments to be posted along with some of his articles and he appears to respond to questions posted in the comments fairly regularly

 

What do you think?

 

No comments: