Sunday, August 05, 2007

Family Reunion

Although the original plan was to go to the Black Hills, SD for our 7th biannual family reunion, we ended up moving the reunion to Canby, MN so we could be close to my grandma. Friday was our play day, filled with go carts, the water park, arcade games and museum in Watertown, SD. Once we arrived in Canby that afternoon, it seemed like the feeding never stopped. There was tons of great food (bars and hot dish, notably) the whole weekend. I ran about 29 miles throughout the weekend in Canby. Running really puts the size of town into perspective. By my house, I run 1/2 mile to get to a 4 mile loop that goes around our neighborhood. In Canby, starting from my grandma's house, I'd run 1 mile in any direction and I'd be 1/2 mile out of town. Sunday's run toward SD was very picturesque.
I'm glad we were able to see Grandma a few times. She even remembered the balloon races when they came out for Rebecca being born.
Speaking of births, Megan's sister had her baby on Friday, July 27 while we were out of town. So now I'm an uncle to Landan Ryan Olsen.
Kent gave us a tour of their farm and the Berkes' farm on Saturday. I was really impressed by their new house and all of the energy efficiencies they have put in. The in floor heating is really cool.
Dan kindly took us to the airport in Sioux Falls on Sunday so we were able to have a nice visit with him. Megan and I couldn't wait to get home and see Ashley, Ryan and Landan but United tested our patience by delaying our flight and causing us to miss our connection. Luckily they were still awake when we arrived home so we were able to see all three on Sunday night. I'm so exited to be an uncle

No comments: