Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Boca Race

I was having second thoughts about riding last night in the Reno Wheelmen Boca Race because of the smoke, but I decided to do it anyway with some peer pressure from Nate. This was my best Boca race yet. I raced in the B's, got 4th and won the KOM. I think my HR was higher than I've ever seen it on that hill and my legs felt like they were going to fall off. Unfortunately, my Garmin Forerunner 305 popped off of my handlebars going over the Stampede dam and I couldn't find it when I went back to look after the race.
In the past I've thought that starting a break from the top of the KOM hill was a great idea, but I was barely able to muster enough energy to hang with the 6 other riders that quickly caught me after the top of the hill. I think if we had worked in a better pace line we could have pulled further ahead. I know there were several times that I fell off the back and would have been screwed had everyone else in the group been working together. But the would usually slow down a bit and I would be able to rejoin the group. Next time I want to try to organize the group a bit better so that everyone is taking short turns in a smooth rotation. Somehow I ended up in the front with about a mile left so I was in no shape to sprint when the first person jumped. I tried but my legs failed quickly and I found myself looking back and being satisfied that 5th place wasn't going to catch me rather than accelerating toward 1,2, and 3.
Kat was doing well until one of the last hills where she lost her chain. Nate focused too much on regulating his power rather than staying with the group, which put him in a bad position for the KOM. But we all enjoyed tasty treats at Jack in the Box on the way home!

No comments: