Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Nutrition and training tips for my Triathlon class

Some of us just started the Whole30 diet plan in conjunction with our triathlon training. I shared these notes with them today. How was the bike ride last night? Did you have a post workout meal? Whole 30 recommends having protein and some carb rich veggies like squash or yams with little or no fat immediately after your workout. Then within a few hours have a regular meal. I encourage you to try this vs. the recovery drink I recommended the other day (coconut milk, berries, eggs)
Are you taking any supplements? I'm still taking fish oil and vitamin D (5,000/day) but I've also added some amino acids after I work out. The idea here is to get amino acids in your blood after a workout to tell your body not to burn muscle. I'm sure there are lots of options but I'm taking Recoverease. Considering that we'll start to taper our training about two weeks from the race, we've only got about a month of hard training left. Is there anything you can cut out during this next month that is adding extra stress and inhibiting your recovery?

Feel free to ask me or the group any questions about your training or diet. Last tip: sparkling water. Water, tea, and coffee are pretty much your only option for beverages on whole30. If you get bored with this, try some carbonated water. It may also help satiate your appetite. Have fun swimming tonight!

Reid

No comments: