Monday, December 13, 2004

The Chutes

I went up to Mt. Rose yesterday and took my first runs on "The Chutes".  Even though I've looked at this terrain for 15 years while skiing and snowboarding at Mt. Rose, it felt like a completely new resort.  Only about half of the runs were open, which was enough to make my legs burn.  The runs were long and steep.  The snow was really good since that side of the mountain never gets sun and the coverage wasn't that bad.  It was amazing to ride down Cutthroat, the run from the Rose side that begins right under the lift.  This is the run everyone looks at while they are on the lift saying, "Did you hear they're going to open up the chutes next year?"  Or at least that's what they would always say for at least the last 10 years, if not since the resort first opened.  I used to imagine that if I got stuck on the lift over that part of the chutes if it would be possible to jump off right there and start riding down the hill. 

 

They also have some nice jumps set up in the Badlands Terrain Park on the Slide side.  There are two tabletops like the ones in the Double Down Terrain Park last year where there is a small tabletop on the left side and a big step-down on the right side.  Hopefully I'll get some pictures up here soon.

 

Reid

No comments: