Sunday, February 04, 2007

Day 4-7 Master Cleanse

Day 4 Friday, 2/2/07:
weight in the morning:151
I tried making the lemonade with molasses today. I used about half as much as I would normally use of maple syrup. It did not taste nearly as good. It wasn't sweet and smelt strong. It ended being a good drink to bring along to Micasa Too for Sarah's birthday. While everybody else was drinking margaritas I was sipping on my lemonade, which probably was just about as easy to drink. I hesitated to go because I knew I would be around a lot of chips and salsa and other tasty food, but that stuff didn't bother me too much. And I was happy to be the DD to the next bar when the fun and puking stopped at Micasa Too.

Day 5 Saturday, 2/3/07
GPS data from run:
Total Time (h:m:s)1:12:479:00 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s)1:10:188:41 pace
Distance (mi )8.08

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2034403
I ran 8 miles this morning. This run and tomorrow's are the reasons that it took me a while to commit to the Master Cleanse. I ran at a comfortably slow pace and felt good the whole time. I haven't felt dizzy or light-headed at all. I did have a little more trouble with the salt water flush, even though I waited 3 hours before beginning my run. I'm pretty candid about the whole thing, learning from each new "experience", but my wife is a little embarrassed by the whole idea of revealing every detail about the elimination process to the world. So I'll keep it to myself.
I still think of food. I had been craving zucchini bread about a week ago, but I found out that they only have it on Tuesday and Saturdays. So I stopped by and picked up a loaf after my run since I was near the store (House of Bread on California Ave.). I got it for Megan and my roommates. I guess I was just thinking that since I can't eat it, it would be almost as good to see someone else enjoy it.
This evening was kinda tough. I wish I could eat something. I felt an urge to eat but I think what was worse is the thought of not eating anything solid for another week. Assuming I go 10 days on the fast, next Friday and Saturday will be spent drinking orange juice. So that puts me at Sunday before eating any solid food.


Day 6 Sunday, 2/4/07
Weight in the morning:149
After my run:145
GPS data from run:
Total Time (h:m:s)2:32:078:40 pace
Distance (mi )17.53
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2034404
I skipped the salt water flush this morning not wanting to repeat yesterday's episode on today's run. Good thing, too. Not many of the bathrooms along the trail are open in the winter, so I stopped to pee on a tree off the trail. Not 2 minutes after resuming running did we encounter a cop driving down the running trail. That stop would have likely been for #2 had I done the salt water flush. He might not have done much if he caught me peeing, but I don't think he would be to excited to find me eliminating on the bank of the river.
I felt good on the run. Bob and I ran about a 9:00/mile pace for the first half, talking most of the way. We picked it up a little bit on the way back and I ended up finishing at an 8:40/mile pace overall. I was planning on running an even 20 but we got back to the car at 17.5 and I couldn't motivate myself to go do the extra 2.5 miles. I know I could have done them, but I pushed it harder than I probably should have for the last 5 miles so reasoned that running another few miles by myself might not be advisable. When I finished, my legs felt tired and worn out, but I was surprised how quickly my breathing recovered. Actually I don't think I was really breathing hard even before we stopped. I drank water and a quart of the lemonade before the run. I carried 2 8 oz bottles of water and 2 of lemonade and drank them along the way. I was a little nervous about needing extra energy so I added an extra tbsp of maple syrup to each bottle of lemonade. That mixture turned out to be really sweet. I probably would have been better with the normal mixture.
So much for not being able to do significant workouts while on this fast. I guess the real test will be in 2 weeks at the Austin Marathon where I'll try to run 3:10 and qualify for Boston.
I was not too upset when Megan wanted to stay home for the Super Bowl. Partly so I could watch the game (and the commercials) on our awesome HD tv and partly because I didn't really feel like being around all that snack food. Megan ended up getting chips and dip and boy did they smell good. I seem to have an easier time drinking at work than at home on the weekends. I drank about 2 gallons on Friday (1/2 water, 1/2 lemonade) but I have only drank about 1/2 that today.

Day 7 Monday, 2/5/07
I woke up at 6:30 this morning to start the salt water routine, which was pretty uneventful. I eliminated once before the salt water and still had gooey stuff coming out normally. Megan didn't sleep much last night and she said one of the things keeping her up was my stomach making noises from the tea. I've heard many people say that they feel great on day 8 and 9. I'm looking forward to that. Today I feel similar to yesterday and Saturday. I don't feel bad, but I wouldn't describe it as great. My cold has all but vanished, although I'm not convinced that it would have been subsiding by now anyway had I continued my normal (mostly healthy) diet. My legs feel great. I don't feel sore from yesterday. I'm going to head to the gym now to lift and run. I haven't really lifted on the fast yet (except the eve of the first day) so we'll see how it goes. Ty was mentioning that his shoulder seems to be healed after being on this diet and Aaron said he regained flexibility in his thumb over a year after the initial injury. I've been trying to think of any aches and pains that I've had lately that I could be miraculously cured from. My neck was bothering me pretty bad before the Honolulu marathon. It hurt to turn my head and it was so tight that I couldn't crack it. But that went away with 2 weeks of relaxation in Hawaii. The only thing I can think of is my knees. They hurt just a little bit when I do squats and lunges. Sometimes I have to do a warmup squat where I go down about 1/4 of the way to "unlock" them so I can do a full squat with a lot of weight. I know I'm getting really picky here because they don't bother me very much at all. So we'll see if they feel any different tonight at the gym.

No comments: